9.27.2010

Gratitude

My day started out somewhat crummy. I was up a few times during the night, my head still hurt this morning, and my knee seems to be a little worse again today (probably too much up and down the stairs). To top it off, I'd spent no time preparing for the week before the alarm went off this morning. Nothing like flying into the week with no specific plans.

But God.

But God doesn't want me to be hung up on my circumstances, focused on them to the exclusion of HIM. In fact, the teaching at church on Saturday night was very much about that. It's not as if I'm unfamiliar with Paul's letter to the church at Philippi. It's one of my favorite books in the Bible.

In light of Christ and all of eternity, what I'm dealing with today is minimal. Compared to what many others live with all the time, this is hardly worth mentioning. Yet it's so easy to focus on that which is uncomfortable, bothersome, or annoying. But it's fleeting. Really, all of this life is fleeting.

Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. James 4:14

And then I remember.

Ann at Holy Experience hosts the Gratitude Community each Monday. Exactly the perspective adjustment I need. What am I grateful for? Focus upon those things and the other, more bothersome things will fade to the back.

#1. a husband who loves, supports, and encourages me

#2. beautiful & inspiring piano music of David Nevue

#3. sons willing to help when I need to rest my knee

#4. meeting a new friend last week

#5. plenty of work for John

#6. bills that are paid

#7. playing Liverpool Rummy with Mom & Dad



The goal is to reach one thousand gifts - one thousand things for which to be thankful. Seven isn't very far, but it's a start. I plan to jot these down throughout the week and post each Monday. Here's to a lifelong search for gratitude.

holy experience

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Yay! So glad you are hear counting the many gifts we are given!! I have only been doing it for a few weeks, and it is a wonderful change of pace to focus on the many good things we are so blessed with!

livinginbetween said...

It's all about perspective, isn't it? Gratitude forces us to remember all that we have to be thankful for and to remember that our complaints are opportunities for more thankfulness. Great beginning to your count to 1,000!

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that I have a friend who did this post with a connection to David Nevue's music...we may use some of it for Dad's funeral.
Thanks Bunny Trails!
Jenny

The dB family said...

I'm glad you're joining in! You will be surprised how quickly the list adds up! David Nevue's music takes my breath away!

Blessings!
Deborah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...