12.18.2008

Homemade Buttercream Frosting - A Tutorial

I just heard today that my dear friend, Sprittibee, actually likes her sugar cookies with just a splattering of colored sugar! To which I responded, "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

Okay, I didn't really channel Gary Coleman, but seriously, sugar cookies without frosting?!?! Specifically, homemade almond buttercream frosting? I don't think so.

While it's easy for me to assume that everyone makes buttercream frosting, I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Oh, there are no measurements here. I might give approximates. Or not. Just go with it. This is not a fussy recipe. At all.




Put some (1/4 to 1/2 cup or so) softened butter (Yes, REAL butter; it's not called margarinecream frosting) into a mixing bowl. Blend butter until it's smooth and creamy. If it's going to be a large batch, put in more butter.




Dump some powdered sugar into the butter. Probably a cup or two. Mix until well-blended. It will be rather stiff at this point.




Pour in a little milk. Like 1/4 cup or less. Mix this in.




Now for a very important step. The almond extract. PURE almond extract. None of that artificial business. If you want artificial, buy a can of frosting at the store. Thankyouverymuch.

Flavorings and extracts are typically not for measuring. Just pour in some. Not a small some. Small flavor is wimpy. No wimpy frosting here.




If you want to color your frosting, now would be a good time to do so. That's if you plan to make a single color. If you want multiple colors, you can do this step at the end, after dividing your frosting amongst smaller bowls.




If you open the box and discover there's no more green food coloring, and it's your oldest son's birthday, whose favorite color is, and always has been, green, it's time to whip out your elementary color mixing skillz.

Blue + Yellow = GREEN

BTW - you can also use paste colors, which I often do, but most of my decorating supplies are still packed.


Some drops of yellow and less drops of blue and mix it all up. Unless you're not making green frosting. I trust that you can figure the color part out.



From here on out, it's just a matter of adding a little of this and a little of that until you have what you want. If your frosting is too thin, add some more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add milk. Color too pale? Add some more food coloring.

Questions? Leave me a comment (make sure your email is available) and I'll be happy to answer. If not, go forth and make some killer buttercream frosting. Enjoy the sugar rush. Have a pillow handy when you come crashing down.


3 comments:

carrie said...

oh yeah! that's what I'm talkin about!

now I just have to get some real butter and that almond stuff. mmm mmm!

Sisterlisa said...

'maragrinecream frosting' LOL Your recipe sounds delish! I agree those cookies can't sit there naked. Put some frosting on your cookies Heather!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am sick of the awful bakery "buttercream" frosting. Ew. This was delicious! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...