12.13.2010

Christmas Wrapping

I was reading Katie's post at Making This Home and it made me realize how long it's been since I've purchased ANY wrapping paper. I used to buy new Christmas paper nearly every year. Anytime there was cute paper on sale (especially after Christmas, I was all over it. A number of years ago, I decided that this was ridiculous, because I didn't have room to store it all and I had so much more than I was going to use anytime soon.

Christmas wrapping-4

{the Comedian thought black crayon was a good choice once when he was younger}

So I made an agreement with myself that I wouldn't have more wrapping paper than would fit in my storage container. It actually took me a few years to use up the excess rolls that wouldn't fit in there. And it's still been a number of years that I've used only what's in the container. It's actually amazing just how far a roll of wrapping paper can go.

Christmas wrapping-2

I really love this storage tote - it can go under the bed, it an serve as a wrapping surface (if the package isn't too big), and it's super organized. It has two trays that sit at each end, in which I keep tags, small bows, pens, tape, and scissors. I lay gift bags and tissue paper in the space between the two trays. It keeps them well-protected.

Christmas wrapping-3


Yes, we still generate trash - probably more than necessary. I haven't gone as green as Katie. Maybe some day. I do recycle bows (and bags), as does my sister. In fact, that's become a long-running family joke/tradition. My brother-in-law, who is incredibly frugal, never wants us to save the bows. I'm not sure what that's all about. But he tries to destroy them, while we try to salvage them. Even the kids get involved. Some years, I put the damaged ones on his presents. Recycling at its finest. Occasionally we put a lot of bows on his presents.

I have been known to pick up tags occasionally, but I think when these run out, I'll make my own. I've stamped and scrapbooked for many, many years. I was a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator for seven of those many. I have plenty of cardstock, papers, stamps, inks, and other assorted bling. I have no doubt I could make some cute tags. But first I'll use up what we have.

I am absolutely amazed that my wrapping paper has held out as long as it has. I would've thought it'd be gone by now, but no. And that's okay. That's one less thing to think about each year. Fortunately, it all fits in my tote (other than some bows), which makes me very happy.

Christmas wrapping-1

One quirky little thing about me and wrapping - I like to use gift wrap for Christmas and gift bags for birthdays. Most of the time. I have no idea why. Do you have a preference?

Yes, some years I get a little bored with the same old papers (I finish off only a roll or two per year, at best), but I stick to my guns and refuse to buy any new paper.

1 comment:

Sprittibee said...

You are so organized. ;)

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...