12.27.2007

Epilogue to Christmas Dinner

I believe that it was a God thing that the turkey wasn't thawed thoroughly on Tuesday. Turns out that this turkey is taking FOREVER to bake. It's on its way to SEVEN hours of roasting and basting and having its temperature taken. Not even the little pop-up-thingy is budging. Had we attempted to have this for dinner on Christmas day, we'd have had a vegetarian meal. Unless we wanted to eat at 10:00 p.m. Not likely. The kids We'd have been whining up a storm about how hungry they we were. "Oh, just a little longer, kids." Not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How big was the turkey? It must have been huge!

We just had a little 11 pounder here since it was just us plus the in laws.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

I think it was around 23-24 pounds, but I don't remember. When they're on sale, it's a flat price for anything over 16 pounds (and another for anything under 16). It's the same price and same amount of work, whether we have 18 or 25 pounds. Hubby (and others) love the leftovers, so we go for the biggest bird (and best deal) we can get.

lori said...

Hey there!
I'm just making my way around all of these great Heart of the Matter blogs while the boys are immersed in the bowl game bonanza!
It's been great visiting!!
and funny thing..I had a brilliant idea to roast a turkey today...in an attempt to save some money...roast a turkey, turkey for the week...4 hours into it...
WHAT IN THE WORLD....still going...
a 24lb would have taken a week!!:)
I have to say the house does smell really great!!:)

I'm glad I stopped by....
Happy New Year!
lori

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Thanks for dropping by, Lori! I have also been trying to get around to the HTM blogs.

The turkey took 7 1/2 hours total! However, it was THE ALL-TIME BEST turkey I've ever cooked in my entire life. That also resulted in the BEST GRAVY EVER. OH. MY. GOSH! I don't usually care about the turkey dinner leftovers, but this time, I've been enjoying them immensely.

:D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...