12.20.2007

Note to Self

A number of years ago, I started a tradition to help me with the holidays. Within the first couple of days after Christmas, I sit down at the computer, and I write a letter to myself.

I tell me how Thanksgiving and Christmas went. I make note of the things that went very well and that I'd like to include next year. I also write about what didn't go well, or maybe what was of little to no value, so I can bypass that the next time.

When my letter is complete, I fold it and seal it in an envelope, along with the previous years' letters. On the front, I write the year that it was written. Then I place it in my dresser drawer.

In my calendar for the upcoming year, I make a note to read my letter somewhere around the first of November. As much as I'd like to think that I'll remember things from one year to the next, it's just not true. But it's a tremendous help to pull out my letter, review the previous years' holidays, and begin to plan anew. I also enjoy reading the stroll through memory lane as I read the older letters.

2 comments:

carrie said...

THAT is a fab idea!

Michele Moore said...

I love this idea. Every year I have all these things I would like to do and then Christmas sneaks up on me and I have missed the chance. I think I will write down some things now... Cookie recipes I want to make, things I want to take the kids to, ideas for how to slow down and remember what this time of year is really about. And to do it every year!! What a great thing to have to look back every year. You know that is why I started blogging, to have a journal.

Thanks for the new idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...