8.04.2007

Wind Sculptures


Pendulum Clock by Starr Kempf


I'm getting in a little scrapbooking today and my next batch of pictures were taken of the Starr Kempf wind sculptures in Cheyenne Canyon. These are some of THE most amazing works of art I have ever seen. Since I don't have a digital version, you can click on the above link and see each of them. They're really beyond words. Here is another link with many more (and very cool) pictures as well as some descriptions. Being at the base of Cheyenne Canyon, there's a gentle breeze that flows down across Starr's property. This is what gives these kinetic sculptures their mobility. It's remarkable to watch these enormous (30-60') pieces of steel sway as gently as a reed in a breeze.

Sadly, a tremendous amount of turmoil and controversy occurred in recent years over these sculptures. The short version is that Starr's daughter (he passed away in 1995) began running commercial tours (complete with big buses) into this quiet little neighborhood. Needless to say, the neighbors were less than thrilled. The streets were never designed for such traffic.

The sculptures actually violate city code as far as their distance from the street and their height. The piece titled "Bird in Flight" is 60 feet tall. However, no one seemed to complain - until the tours got to be too much. After much legal wrangling, a judge ordered four (I think) of the ten sculptures to be removed.

The only sculpture I have posted here is one that's located in downtown Colorado Springs. The other pictures I have are of his works on his property (see above links), but are not digital.

I'm not even sure I can scrapbook these. I just don't really know how I would do them justice. So here I sit, in awe, remembering the warm sun, the light breeze, the gently moving sculptures, as I look at my photos.


BTW - that's my oldest son at the bottom of that sculpture, which is 47' tall. Gives you some perspective, that's for sure. He was 11 at the time.

3 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

I'd never heard of them before, but how beautiful they are! Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my blog.

Barb

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

They are breath-taking. Just to stand there and watch them move and sway is incredible. Photos don't truly do them justice.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so much entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

Garden Art Sculptures

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...