12.22.2008

Tis the Season...

...to regurgitate, um, share a post of old. I'd love to write something new, but I'm in gift-wrap mode, so I'm a bit unavailable.

Let's take a trip in the way-back machine to December 13, 2007:

I was paying my phone bill via telephone today and utilizing the automated system.



The conversation with the mechanical man voice (MMV) goes something like this:

MMV: "I see you are calling from 123-4567 (not my real number). Is this correct?"

Me: "Yes."

MMV: "What can I help you with today? You can say things like, 'pay my bill' or 'add services'."

Me: "Pay my bill."

MMV: "Okay. Let me look up your account. Hmmm . . . I can't pull up your information. I will need to transfer you to a customer service representative. Please hold while I transfer you."

Whoa. Excuse me? Mechanical Man Voice is pausing with a "Hmmm . . . " as if he's deep in thought about how to proceed?!?! Get real! All he's doing is following a series of yes/no, 1/0, or on/off options. It's nothing more than programming logic. Don't try fooling me into thinking that MMV is actually thinking or pondering this matter. I am SO not buying into that. It's just too weird.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...