6.30.2008

Attention Span?

(Written last week)

What on earth is wrong with me? I'm sitting here, attempting to organize the bills and sort out some papers. Actually, I am doing that. But I'm also reading emails, checking out some fellow class participants for the Through The Lens class, and jumping up to do laundry, take bread out of the oven, or go to another room to do something.

WHY CAN I NOT BE FOCUSED ON ONE THING???

I seem to get worse and worse about this with every passing year. By the time I reach 50, I'll be wandering aimlessly all the time, accomplishing ZERO. I'll forget what I'm doing continually. I can hardly remember now, it seems.

So I look at a few pieces of paper, do a little triage (shred, file, throw away), and turn and do something at the laptop. Type a sentence or two, read an email or three, and it's back to the paperwork I'm supposed to do.

Sure, the logical answer here would be to do the paperwork away from the computer. But then I remember that I need to email a friend to ask her a question. Or I need to update the checkbook on the computer. And then I'm sucked back into my online life. Until I catch the stack of paper in my peripheral.

It was no different earlier today. I was baking sourdough, washing dishes, drying sheets, talking on the phone, and IMing a friend. ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Sheesh.

Attention span? I have none. Zero. Zip. Nada.



Disclaimer: Okay, okay, SOMETIMES I'm capable of focusing on one thing - hyperfocusing, that is. It's at the other end of the spectrum. I forget everything else as time stands still and I'm utterly engrossed in something. Where, oh where is that elusive balance?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Poor dear. I sometimes have this problem too... it's all about training your mind. :D

This was too funny "By the time I reach 50, I'll be wandering aimlessly all the time, accomplishing ZERO.

I hope you can start focusing better.

Suzanne said...

ROFTL. I totally relate! Don't forget Mat 6:34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

God is good (all the time) and He will provide.

Michele Moore said...

I totally do this. Yesterday I was cleaning, trying to catch up on all the stuff that I let go during VBS and I was all over the place. I cannot tell you how many times I went to the garage to get the vacuum and ended up changing the laundry, just to get down the hall, realize I had not accomplish what I needed to, and with a AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh of frustration, head off the the garage again. I usually gather all my supplies and do one room at a time, but everything was so out of whack I kept stopping to do one little thing... Then I had no idea what I was doing in the first place.

Hopefully things are better this week.

Michele

rebecca said...

yes, i can relate....oh, where's that bill i need to pay?....oh, i need to call sally....hmmm, macy's having a nice sale....oh, right, bunny trails, i was giving her my excellent advice....oh, i got to get the chicken out of the freezer....

LOL! you're not alone sister!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...