3.26.2009

The Rest of the Story

It felt a little funny putting pix of romance novels in ziploc bags on my blog with absolutely NO information. But it was Wordless Wednesday. Wordless, as in, NO WORDS. And I don't read romance novels, so that made it slightly awkward. There were a lot of questions about the books in the bags lying in the parking lot island, so here is the rest of the story.

While leaving the grocery store, I saw these books in ziploc bags sitting on the rocks on the parking lot divider. Naturally, my camera and I had to see what that was all about. I didn't get it at first, but upon reading the little pink label, realized it's a plan for recycling books. Apparently, when you've finished reading a book, you put it in a bag (for protection obviously), slap a label on it, and leave it somewhere public for someone else to pick up. Someone mentioned that it was a little ironic that people are essentially littering in order to recycle. Ha! Ha! Ha!



Of course, if I ever am in the mood for a romance novel, now I know where to pick them up. In grocery store parking lots. I'll file that away under really useful probably-won't-use information. If you want more details, go to the site on the label (book crossing dot com). They'll give you the whole scoop, not merely the condensed version.

Now you know. Go forth and enjoy your Thursday with slightly more knowledge than you had previously.


8 comments:

Beth said...

I wondered about those books....you just didn't seem like the romance book type. Know what I mean? Love the idea!

Are you all getting snow?? We're on 4 straight days of snow, snow, and more snow. I think we're up to 18 inches in the valley, I'm sure the mountains have even more. Yikes! Did I imagine the 60 degrees last week?????

Joy said...

Thanks for the explanation. I did pop back to your site last night hoping to see if you added something about it. You read my mind... :-)

I think the idea of leaving books around for others is a nice one. Why not? But did they have to leave romance books? Or maybe that's why they choose them. Cuz they didn't want them in their house as evidence.

Rachael said...

How interesting! I might have to take part in this thing. And make sure something is getting out besides romance novels.

InventingLiz said...

That is definitely one of the more bizarre things I have ever heard of - but I love the name of the project, Read and Release!

Anonymous said...

That is so wild. I have never seen anything like that happen. It's a good enough idea, I guess. LOL. I wonder if a lot of people in that area know about it and participate.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Hi I'm Nikowa, I'm a recycler who litters :) (all) Hi Nikowa

:D

Maureen McCabe said...

The ladies in my office have had a book shelf in a back hall where they take their books for years, makes more sense to me than outside in parking lots. I have only "borrowed" a few over the years. Now that I am thinking about it I will have to pay attention to if they are mostly romance novels and that's why I have not been that interested.

Funny, random approach to recycling.

Susie Buetow said...

That is so funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...