Sorry the picture quality isn't better - I was in a bit of a hurry.
- 6x6 double-sided, patterned paper. You can use paper with a white back if you prefer; the inside/back of the star will just be white. Mine were made with 12x12" patterned paper, cut into fourths.
- Gold or silver thread
- Mini glue dots or adhesive
1. Score at one inch intervals (5 score lines total) across one side. You can use a scoring blade in a paper cutter or a stylus or bone folder with a ruler.
2. Accordian fold so that you have three folds on the "top" and two folds with the ends on the "bottom." The top is the side that will be the front of your star.
These are the three folds on top.
These are the two folds and the ends
3. Mark the center (3") and staple here. Don't worry about fun things like colored staples, because the staple won't show when you're done.
4. Cut from about 1/2" outside the staple down towards the opposite corner to form the tips of the stars. Because my paper was thick, the tips didn't always turn out the same length, so I made sure I went back to trim them to be even. Be sure you do this on both sides of the staple.
5. Fold in half, both ways, at the staple, just so you have a crease at the center.
6. Push your finger up into the part of the point nearest the staple.
7. Press the point down and press & crease up to at point at the staple. Repeat with all six points
8. Attach a mini glue dot in between each pair of star points (or you can use adhesive).
9. Using a needle and gold or silver thread, run it through about 1/2" from the tip of a star point and tie at the top so that you can hang your star.
If you're feeling extra sparkly, you could also add glitter (or, better yet, used glitter paper!) to your stars.
If you make any, send me pictures. I'd love to see them.