10.04.2011

Will I Obey?

I drive up the heavily-trafficked hill. As I move into the left lane, I discover that everyone is doing the opposite – there’s a car stalled just ahead. I move back and pass the woman sitting her stationery car. She looks a little lost and very alone. A small voice says that I should go help her. Stopped at this red light, I could turn off into the school parking lot. But I’d never get across the street to her aid, I think. Besides, what could I do? Push her car up the hill? The signal turns green and I drive away with a heavy rock in my belly. I disobeyed the prompting of the Holy Spirit. The one that I so long to hear. The one that just yesterday, I asked to be quiet enough to hear.

I drive on to the next intersection, turn around, and come back. I pull into the same school parking lot I just passed; I park and head over toward the street. As I do, a young man meets me. Apparently her car began to run as he came up to help her. There was also another woman coming to her assistance, now crossing back to her own vehicle. “All those people and no one to help,” the young man says. Sadly, that is too often the truth. We’re all too busy with our own agendas to stop and help.

I drive away, wondering why God called me back there. I did nothing of value. But then He quietly places the answer upon my heart; the outcome is not the issue – obedience to His still, small voice is.

Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice…1 Samuel 15:22

3 comments:

The dB family said...

This post took my breath away! We just talked about this very thing in Bible study today. So glad you went back!

Blessings!
Deborah

Suzanne said...

I know exactly how you feel, I pray that I always hear and heed the Holy Spirit's whispers. I can't say how many times the Lord has put someone on my mind and I call them and they really needed to hear from the Lord. I have to admit there are just as many times when I am "too busy" and then forget.

Kelli said...

I am so glad you went back. I didn't the other day and felt awful the rest of the day. I directly disobeyed God. Which makes me wonder how many times will he continue to have mercy on me. Thank you for this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...