9.04.2008

Homeschool Memoirs: Agendas

HS Memoirs AgendasHere we are, in the third week of the Homeschool Memoirs theme at HSBA, and I'm behind. Sigh. I know, I know, there's no pressure or anything. Not that I haven't blogged. I just haven't taken the time to complete this. So, I'll post last week's today and this week's . . . well, not today. Maybe tomorrow. Or something.


This week’s theme is about sharing your 2008-09 homeschool agendas and plans.

Please share a Bible verse that has encouraged you or inspired you during this planning-process, and how.



2008-2009 Game Plan at High Altitude Academy

Planning this year was quite a challenge a little more work than in years past.

ClayGuy is in 9th grade now (read: HIGH SCHOOL). At least according to the public school powers that be, that's how he is classified. That brought a whole new can of worms set of parameters. While the homeschool laws in Colorado aren't terribly stringent, I still feel that it's important for the boys to meet graduation requirements. I don't know if they'll pursue college at some point, but they need to at least be able to do so, should they wish.

It took me a few days to round up the specific requirements for our state. Then I dug into the book, High School @ Home, You Can Do It! by Diana Johnson. What a blessing that book was! I was feeling a bit lost, but after reading her book, and combining it with the graduation requirements, I was equipped to put together a four-year high school plan. Oh, the other integral part of homeschooling is Robin Sampson's Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach.

Since the Comedian is only 17 months younger, he'll pretty much follow the same plan, with minor curriculum variations.

I'm a form junkie and Diana offered some great ones on the CD in her book, plus I love making my own. After printing the desired forms and putting the plan together, here's where we are:

My Brain in a Binder
  • Monthly calendar pages - gives the broad overview for future planning

  • Weekly school plans - where I map out the plans for the boys' week

  • Daily flight plan - each page covers everything I need to do or remember in a day

Individual Planning Binders for the Boys
These are 1/2" binders that contain the boys' plans. I created a weekly form for them. Last year, we used daily forms, but I really like planning their entire week.

ClayGuy
  • Bible - Reading through the Bible (currently in Genesis) and discussion. Praying together. Restarting prayer journals.

  • English - Abeka's Grammar & Composition, Wordly Wise vocabulary, daily reading

  • Math - Saxon

  • Science - God's World Physical Science

  • Social Studies - KONOS Elections unit study

  • Art - Myriad activities; still active in miniature clay sculpting. Will be getting his etsy store going again.

  • PE - Walking daily for now. Plan to enroll in martial arts.

  • Computer - Typing, basic computer skills

The Comedian
  • Bible - Reading through the Bible (currently in Genesis) and discussion. Praying together. Will restart prayer journals.

  • English - Bob Jones Writing & Grammar, Wordly Wise vocabulary, daily reading

  • Math - Keys to Algebra

  • Science - God's World Physical Science

  • Social Studies - KONOS Elections unit study

  • Art - Myriad activities; sketching and cartooning

  • PE - Walking daily, homeschool bowling. Plan to enroll in martial arts.

  • Computer - Typing, basic computer skills, game programming

  • Looking at a Boy Scout troop this week as he considers rejoining.


One of my favorite verses the Lord often brings to mind is Isaiah 30:21. It reminds me to quiet myself and listen for His leading.
Your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there Mrs. G -
This is Rachel. We will be starting our next book tomorrow. Sorry this is such short notice. :) Would you mind posting about it for us so as to get the word out about it? That would be a great help for us!

We will be reading Enoch Roden's Training by Hesba Stretton. There is a post up at the Club if you want to sign the linky to join us. Posting about it on your blog would be a great way to let others know about the book we are reading and ask them to join us!

Hope to see your name on the Linky!
For the HSB Lit Club,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great plan! I bet your boys will be busy and having fun at the same time!

Rambling Woods said...

Wow..My favorite grades were 7-8 when I was teaching, but I would not feel fully competent to teach high school subject. Good luck!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...