1.01.2007

New Year's Resolution

I always think about New Year's resolutions this time of year. But I was also pondering the fact that I have never in my life heard of one single person who made a change in his/her life based upon a New Year's resolution. I think it's just one of those things that we (humans in general) do. Is it because it seems like such a good idea? Is it tradition? Is it perfect timing with the major holidays past? Maybe it's that brand new calendar with a brand new year and pretty, clean boxes just waiting for a new and improved life.

On the one hand, if I have no goals and no desire to change, then I will lead a mediocre and unfulfilling life - definitely not one that will bring glory and honor to God. But in and of myself, I cannot make lasting changes in my life. Those changes have to come from the Lord. So what does He want for me in this new year? That's been the real question for me recently.

Thankfully the Lord is always faithful to answer my questions and give me direction. In this case, it was through my quiet time. I've been going through a book called "Revive my Heart!" by Catherine Martin. It's based mostly upon Psalm 119. The chapter for this week is titled "The Prayer of Revival." On the second day, the author focuses on resolve and commitment - aha! - this ties in to the whole idea of a new start! I can't say that my prayer life has been very good of late, so this was exactly what I needed to hear. I believe the Lord gave me three verses this morning to meditate and focus upon for 2007.

"I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word." Psalm 119:15-16

"Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving."
Colossians 4:2

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1Thessalonians 5:16

While I have other things in my life I want to see changed, I believe it all begins with my prayer life before the Lord. So I will start there and see where He plans to take me this year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...